“In 10 sessions you’ll feel the difference, in 20 you’ll see the difference, and in 30 you’ll have a new body” ~Joseph Pilates
In honor of Global Pilates Day this year I thought I would share a few of the reasons I think everyone should do Pilates. I know there are many more, but this is my short list of reasons why Pilates is so life-changing. Yes, Life. Changing.
- You time– Who doesn’t need an hour of “me time”?! For an hour the focus is on YOU: your body and your movement. Since Pilates is fairly detailed, your mind doesn’t have the space to drift off to the grocery list, bills, kids, etc.
- Posture– Through the Pilates system, we work all areas of the body, even the ones that might be neglected in daily life. A big focus is on opening the chest, working the upper back and strengthening the core, which all lead to better posture!
- Flexibility- You do NOT have to be flexible to start Pilates, rather doing Pilates will improve your flexibility. Through the Pilates exercises you will actively stretch AND strengthen your body at the same time versus focusing on passive stretching.
- Core strength- As you might have heard, we do focus a lot on the core in Pilates. The core goes beyond just the abdominals (although you will strengthen them for sure!). The core includes the abs, hips, and even the shoulder complex as all of these areas help to keep us strong and balanced.
- Balance- Improved core strength helps us improve our balance. We need balance in order to be able to do all of the other things in our lives, whether it is holding a baby and four bags of groceries in the rain, climbing a mountain, skiing, or just walking across uneven terrain.
- Breath- We focus a lot on the breath in Pilates. Breath is imperative for life. Tight ribs, necks, backs, and jaws can all lead to restricted breathing patterns. Many of us can optimize our breath for greater lung capacity, improved oxygenation of the blood and healthier tissue. When we breathe better, we feel better.
- Sleep- And when we breathe better and move our bodies during the day, it can help improve sleep at night.
- Injury prevention- One of the Pilates principles is to promote uniform development of the body (and mind!). This means that all muscles have both the strength and flexibility needed to create balance in the body. When there is balance in the body, there is less chance of injury.
- Happiness! As you get stronger and more flexible, breathe better, sleep better and give yourself some quality time, an added benefit is HAPPINESS!
- Fun- Even when your instructor makes you hold Teaser for what feels like hours, Pilates is generally FUN! The Pilates system, with the playground-like equipment and 100s of exercises is never boring!
One of my favorite quotes from Mr. Pilates’ book, Return To Life is this:
“Physical fitness is the first requisite of happiness. Our interpretation of physical fitness is the attainment and maintenance of a uniformly developed body with a sound mind fully capable of naturally, easily, and satisfactorily performing our many and varied daily tasks with spontaneous zest and pleasure.”
The goal for most of us is to stay healthy so that we can do the things that make us happy. Why not choose a fitness program that brings about joy and happiness along the way?!
Happy Pilates Day from InsideOut Body Therapies!
Call or email the studio to schedule a class or private session.