Walking into a Pilates studio for the first time might be a little intimidating… Archaic looking structures made of wood, leather and metal with springs, straps, and fuzzy loops attached. WEIRD. But, once you get to know the Pilates equipment, I promise you will understand and LOVE it!
Today is the 1st day of the 12 Days of Specials at InsideOut and the special is on Equipment classes. So, I thought I would share a few reasons why we love Pilates equipment classes!
- Support- The equipment will support you, making the exercises a little easier…well maybe not easier, but easier to do with good form and alignment! People who find Pilates mat or yoga classes too challenging or painful, often really enjoy the equipment. In a mat class, it’s just you, the mat and gravity! The equipment will support and assist your body in an amazing way.
- Resistance- The springs provide resistance, but in a smooth and supportive way. They act similarly to our muscles as they stretch and then recoil with our movements. The resistance can be light or heavy, but the springs allow for smooth, graceful movement.
- Versatility- You can do SO. MANY. THINGS. on the equipment! From beginner to highly advance, ANYONE can benefit. There are hundreds of exercises in which you might be lying on your back to standing on your head. The Pilates system of movement is so diverse and complete! All body parts and types of movement are worked during each session!
- Challenging- You must be present during class as you have to focus on the exercises, breath, the equipment AND your movement. This is challenging for the body AND mind, but is often a welcomed change from our daily stressors!
- Camaraderie- In a class, you have the support and sense of community from fellow classmates…whether they are cheering you on as you come up in Teaser on the reformer, or while joining in on a communal eye roll as the teacher says “3 more” after you have already done nearly 200 Hundreds! We love seeing the friendships that form in our studio!
- Fun- It starts to look and feel like a playground for grown ups. Have you been in the studio when someone suddenly flips upside down or stands on her head? These things might sound impossible, but we have people of all ages and fitness levels doing fun, gymnastics-like exercises! Only if you want…but the option is there! And even if you aren’t flipping around, the equipment is still really fun!
Don’t let the flipping and headstands intimidate you- ANYONE can take equipment classes! At InsideOut, we just require you to take a minimum of TWO private sessions to get familiar with the equipment before starting a class. We have classes for people just coming out of Physical Therapy (check out our Back to Health program!) as well as classes from Leveled from 1 (beginner) to 5 (advanced). Check out our website for more information on our classes and to find the schedule. We hope to see you in class soon!